bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, April 23, 2009




I'm reading "Persuasion" by Jane Austen. Part of the story takes place in Bath, England.
My bread cookbook had a recipe for "Bath Buns" these are traditional (since the late 1700's) for the area. I noticed that the recipe was very much like the "Hot Cross Buns" which I wrote about on Good Friday.
So, the dough has been made in my bread machine and is now ready to be baked for our breakfast.

Bath Buns


2 cups flour, all-purpose
2 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 c. butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 medium lemon rind of, grated
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg well beaten
1/2 cup raisins, seedless
1/2 c milk

Directions
Place all ingredients except raisins into bread machine. Process on "dough" until ready. Add raisins.
Form small amounts into round buns. Place on baking sheet or glass cake pan. Cover.
Allow buns to rise overnight in the refrigerator or for 45 minutes in a warm place.
Reserve a little of the egg to brush over the top.
Bake at 375 F for 20-25 min.
Brush top with 1 tablespoon sugar moistened with a little cream.

Serve hot. 12 servings.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love bread with raisins. I used the pick the raisins out of the dough when it was rising when my grandma made raisin brown bread.

I think you will like "Persuasion".
It was my favorite of the three J.A. books I have read. You will also like the A&E miniseries version.

Related Posts with Thumbnails