bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, October 17, 2014

Back from Idaho....baking...Dump cake ---- gluten free, pumpkin.

I spent the weekend in Boise, Idaho visiting my son and his family!


Here we are at a super outdoor restaurant in downtown Boise Friday evening! What perfect weather!

 

While there, we did something outdoors everyday....not just sitting and eating! LOL!

We hiked through the green space in town, along the Boise River. Cottonwoods and other hardwoods...the maples are turning, were at their peak, I think....reds and oranges! ..there were lots of small locust trees with yellow leaves!

I did not take any kind of camera...just wanted to BE!
Sunday afternoon, we hiked a footpath in the steep, arid foothills just north of town.....

 

The ground slopes dramatically down (and up!)from the footpath, below is a dry creek bed with shimmering aspen trees. Lots of bushes of Idaho sage brush lend a wonderful fragrance as we brush past them.


************************************************************************

Later that evening, I got to read a bedtime story to my "boys"!
this was "Bring the Rain to the Kapiti Plain", which I used to read to our son!

 

[We are sitting on The grandson's "big boy bed" on a quilt which I created for him!]

**********************************************


Coming home to my birthday...and more great weather! Out for a lovely b'day dinner at Emelia's.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Today is try to bake a dump cake day! this recipe is HERE!

...and many more online! So I went for it! Using gluten free cake mix!

 

I baked it in several smaller pans so that I could freeze and enjoy at different times!

In a ramekin, I baked my sample serving! It was great! But the cake mix, being GF, didn't created a nice sponge.....I think GF cake mixes, with xanthan gum, need some mixing to make things "springy" and not gritty....to dissolve the sugar and to let the xanthan gum start working. Sprinking it on the top, dry was not a total "wow"....but it was still great! Especially with whipped cream???

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails