bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, September 26, 2013

"Quilting is a white woman's way of singing the blues."

This quote is from Jo Packham, who says it comes from the book about the Gee's Bend quilters....interesting....

Here is a crib quilt for the newest baby in our family. It was started before he was born, and before my mom ( his great grandmother) went into long term care. she helped to piece the blocks! Here she is back in February , making a block on the little featherweight machine!

Missing you, Mom!

Here is the label,for the quilt....and really cute backing fabric of farm animals, including alpacas!

Other quilts I have worked on recently include this one made with scraps from another quilter's stash.

The fabrics include some designed by Cath Kidston and Laura Ashley....red and pinks, soft greens and lavenders. A touch of yellow....irregular size scraps, pieced together as well as possible without much trimming.....making a bit of a wonky, but loveable quilt! It is hand quilted in utility stitches using rosy perle cotton and a chenille needle.

I have plans for (and fabrics for) more low-volume, pastel quilts.

******************************************

Also plans for a more bright, saturated, scrappy quilt of pieced wheels or circles....sort of like this one from the owner of Peppermint Pinwheels ETSY store. I have ordered a 10 degree wedge ruler to help cut this scrappy wonder!

 

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

How nice to have a quilt for the baby that your mother helped with. Love the colors of the quilts - and those circles, are they hard to do?

Lila Rostenberg said...

JoAnn- I think making the circles will be no harder than a Dresden plate....once the 10 degree blades are cut out.
While waiting for my wedge ruler to arrive, I am sewing scrappy strip sets from my stash...about 9 different fabric strips, 1-2 inches wide and 22 inches long. I'll have these ready to cut the spokes when my package with the ruler comes.
I'll post photos as I do it,
Lila

Related Posts with Thumbnails