bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, April 25, 2007




Yesterday, we went to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta.
They are having a special showing of art works from the Louvre in Paris!

This painting by Diego Velazquez is one of the most lovely there...and is used on the poster for the exhibit. Velazquez painted this little girl, for the Queen of France....Marie Antoinette's mother-in-law. He did pure painting with no preliminary drawing on the canvas! Her skin is translucent!

Also part of this exhibit were the decorative arts of the time just before the French Revolution. I was amazed and delighted to see paper costumes for Marie Antoinette (Queen) and Louis (king) created by Isabelle de Borchgrave. These images from the Internet are similar to the dress I saw. However, the head dress for queen Marie Antoinette included a clipper-type sailing ship.... done in paper. Her husband's costume of powdered wig, short pants and jacket worn with a shirt featuring sheer filagree lace ruffles were also done entirely in paper.



You can learn more about Isabelle and see a video of her studio on her website....(above) I had seen this video a few weeks ago after Loretta of Pomegranates and Paper posted about Isabelle and her painting! I might have overlooked the beauty of the papaer costumes, had I not known about Isabelle...thanks, Loretta!




6 comments:

Annie said...

There's a lot to admire in these photos you have shared with us today. And I imagine there is a lot of inspiration you will draw from what you've seen.

Annie said...

I returned to say congratulations on the impending birth of your grandchild. It's a momentous occasion.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Thanks! We have until November....but may have news from an ultrasound along the way!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

FANTASTIC!!! What a joy to see that exhibit and to see Isabelle de Borchgrave's work in person...well I am green with envy. I've seen her site and watched her video before. She AMAZES me!

I see the comment about a grandchild....did I miss something?? How wonderful!!

I hope you are having fun and enjoying this time away!!

XOXO

Mary Timme said...

You have a grand baby coming, which is pure delight and great drama. I loved the paper clothes! Wow! What a talent. Looks better than the actual dress, No?

Kahshe Cottager said...

The detail makes it hard to believe that those costumes have been done with paper - they are exquisite!

A new grandbaby?! How wonderful! Congratualtions!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails