bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, July 25, 2009

What has appeared in the garden this morning??????

A closer look.

It is a cauliflower teapot!
Every cottage garden outside an artist's studio can use a bit of whimsy and charm!
My garden benefitted from a consultation day with my friend Paula who is an excellent gardener and thrift shop queen! We spent the morning on several projects here (more about them in the next post), then had a delicious, easy, light lunch of her homegrown White Pearl cucumbers along with a hearty dip for tortilla chips (recipe to follow). In the afternoon, we visited a new thrift shop nearby, came home and measured my spacebeside the back door.....
It worked! we went back and brought it home...I now have a "mystery" ?What ever is this thing?" of a wrought iron shelf unit outside the back door.

Paula also gave me several boxes of broken glazed floor tiles which I can recycle into a mosaic in concrete to use as a little patio, or back door entrance....that will be so wonderful! Hope to start on it tomorrow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is similar to the "Texas Caviar" recipe which was so popular a few years ago.
Southwestern Veggie Salad
In a large bowl, combine
1, 15 oz can whole kernel corn, ( I used frozen whole kernel corn instead of canned)
1,15 oz can black beans, do not drain
1, 10 oz can Ro-tel tomatoes, do not drain
1, 1/2 cups cooked rice (I used brown rice)
Cumin to taste
garlic salt to taste (or fresh garlic and some sea salt)
ground black pepper to taste
LOTS of fresh chopped cilantro
[can also add fresh chopped onion and/or bell pepper]
Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top if desired!
Serve with Tortilla Chips
[similar recipes can be found on line by Googling "Southwestern black bean salad recipe"]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better stay away from that garden come September 1 because I don't want anything to ruin your babysitting chances! :) No more poison ivy! Looks like fun! XOXO- ME

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love the cauliflower tea pot.

gma said...

Does the back door go into the kitchen? If so you can put potted herbs on your new shelf....handy for clipping when needed in a recipe. The teapot is really cute in your garden.
Are you going to mix the concrete then put the tiles in before it sets? So much going on!!
:-)

Lila Rostenberg said...

The door goes right into my studio...downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs. I do have some herbs growing in several different beds! LOVE fresh herbs!
I'm anxious to get started with the tiles and concrete...but have to wait for my assistant! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails