bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tomorrow is April's full moon. It is called the "Pink Moon" in North America.





You can read more about full moon names here .





The name comes from the flowers called "pinks" by the English settlers in New England. [Gardener, artist, Tasha Tudor still speaks of her "pinks"....dianthus and sweet william.] These are sometimes called "clove pinks" (because they do smell wonderfully of cloves, as do carnations) or moss pinks because they are low growing.


Notice the sawtooth edge of the flowers? Thus the name "pinking shears" for these special scissors used to cut a sawtooth edge!




Wild phlox is also called a "pink" and appears in early spring...



["Wild Phlox" by artist Gordon Mortensen]



So when you see that moon this weekend, it may or may not appear "pink" to you...depending perhaps on the state of your "ROSE-COLORED" glasses!



3 comments:

GreenishLady said...

Well, I never knew the origin of the name for pinking shears! The things you know! I love that picture of the wild phlox. Very pretty!

Julie said...

Hi, Lila,

Thank you for the information on the "Pink Moon". I didn't know about that.

I DID know that dianthus are named pinks for pinking shears. I am proud of myself for knowing that.

I usually get really discombobulated with the full moon but that is not happening with me - so far - this month. This must be a sign that I am in a good place.

Hugs, Julie

Sue Seibert said...

I've seen it and not noticed a rose-colored hue, but I'll make special note tonight to check. Sounds like you're having a good weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails