bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Of homes and houses...

I'm cleaning out and de-cluttering....making way for new carpet which is coming next week (I think).
Now, I am easily distractable and found myself getting mentally "lost" in come of the things I have come across....
1) I found my copy of "Anam Cara, a Book of Celtic Wisdom" by John Donohue. I had never stopped to read it. So last night I began.
It is beautiful, about being a friend to yourself and all of creation.
I can relate it to the "non-resistance" and "acceptance " (as in "Thy will be done." The prayer that never fails ...Jan Karon) I have been hearing Eckhart Tolle speak about.
One quote from the first chapter I really loved, "To be holy is to be home, to be able to rest in the house of belonging that we call the soul."
SOOOOO....I did a collage of a house. This one has four rooms. Body. Mind. Emotion. Spirit. According to wisdom from India, one should visit each room of the home each day for a balanced life!


*******************************************************
2) Something else I came across while moving all these "things" was this photo.


It is connected to a moment of synchronicity.
My mother and I were going to a quilt show in June, a few years ago. She had just told me that she had talked to my brother, and he had been cutting hay. However he was concerned because it was such a rainy week.
When we looked at the raffle quilt offered by the quilters holding the show, the theme was houses. There were many wonderful blocks of special, sheltering homes. The last block however, was of a small home in the distance, a tractor in the foreground, a hill with hay lying over it and a dark stormy sky. The maker had embroidered a verse about "Hay on the ground and rain in the forecast!" I told my mother to purchase a chance on the quilt because it was surely her quilt. She did and of course, her name was drawn!
She then gave the quilt to my brother and his wife!

7 comments:

GreenishLady said...

I love your collage, Lila. That idea of visiting every room makes such sense! I love that you used John O'Donoghue's quote too, of course!

And what a great quilt in that photo!

Kelli said...

Your collage is wonderful, Lila and I enjoying seeing the beautiful quilt too!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

So odd, the Cloth Paper scissors you loned me had houses in it several times. Had I heard about the quilt? I must have forgotten. You have found some interesting links to the past to pull you into the now moment. liz

Mary Timme said...

I love you memories of when your mom was with you. The quilt is really super. I love the last block. Boy, I remember that feeling, Dad spending the day mowing and it had to cure before he winrow it for the baler. Or the days when harvest of wheat started and we prayed for no rain until it was over. Those were intense times on the farm.

gma said...

Lila, I have heard the quote before. Your collage of it is wonderful. Awesome quilt as well.
I have missed you. I can't wait to get back to art, book altering and collaging.
xx

Sheila said...

Cleaning out and decluttering always gives me a good feeling.
When you find things you had forgotten it is an added bonus.
Love the collage and the wisdom that it inspired it.
xx

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love to cook too and I am great at it and get to cook lots of different kind of world dishes.
I love your quilt and your collage
I need to clean too but that will be sometime in the future, LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails