bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, October 28, 2007

I love children's literature.....


This beautiful picture book , "Sugar Cane", is a treasure which I found yesterday and am sending to our son-in-law from Jamaica, and our granddaughter.



Lilia (at 4 years old here, photo by friend Barbara Batson) truly looks like she could be the model for Sugar Cane!


We found the book in a nearby Victorian town, Eureka Springs. This town is always a treat for us to visit and to walk the curvy steep streets, delighting in the gardens and architecture....and lots of "hippie" vibe too!
Mr. Pear and I descended (literally...it is downhill to the main shopping area of the old town!) into this dreamy world late yesterday on a perfect autumn afternoon. The town was full of tourists who had come hoping to see fall color, but enjoying themselves none-the-less in the still lush green forested hills. Hundreds of Victorian cottages and mansions offer bed and breakfast.


Homes and porches are decorated for the season!

This cottage garden had the tallest, most lush bed of cleome I have ever seen....in the shadows here, as the afternoon sun is getting low and striking the treetops behind it.


Shops offer lots of intriquing merchandise! We visited the small bookstore, looking for a birthday card, and there we found the wonderful picture book. Here we are enjoying a snack on the balcony of a Victorian hotel and looking at the book a bit!




Being over in Eureka, even for a few hours is a wonderful escape from routine!We celebrated both of our birthdays....though the gift we bought was for someone else!
(I'm sure we'll get to read it with her when we visit!)

12 comments:

gma said...

Sounds like a wonderful Sunday! I love exploring old towns and seeing all of the beautiful houses and gardens and old shops too. Yesterday I went to Borders Bookstore with Tommy. He picked out a book for his birthday. He got Pirates of the Carribean. Hmmm another Carribean book! Lilia will love her new book...it looks beautiful.

Julie said...

Lila,

Your granddaughter could indeed be the model for that book cover.

I am so glad you got to Eureka Springs (late because of Mr. Pear?) and that you got to go home for the weekend. Who's taking care of mom?

Julie

Janet said...

Eureka Springs has been added to my list of places I want to visit! It looks like a charming little place. And I agree....Lilia is the perfect model for Sugar Cane! She is just beautiful.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Julie, you don't miss anything! We were late going over there because of Mr. Pear...the shops were about to close:-(...did he plan it that way?LOL We had a great time anyway!

I am trusting Mom's care to her lifeline and friends for a bit now.
She is getting stronger everyday!

Tammy said...

Wow! The resemblance between your grandaughter and the book cover is amazing! She's a gorgeous girl! :)

Happy Birthday (Late!)

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Wonderful pictures!
You and your grandaughter look fantasticly beautiful!

Mary Timme said...

I remember visiting the town of Eureka Springs in the winter once. Hey, it was the soonest we could get married. It looks a lot the same. And it is very up and down!

Laurie said...

I so enjoyed your photos ~ your grandaughter is just beautiful. Love the wedding photos ~
I am sorry I missed your birthday ~ I hope you had a lovely day.

Naturegirl said...

You are so lovely!
Your Lilia is a sweet child and I love her name!
I also find myself looking for books for my 2 grandchildren who live in Arizona when I am out and about browsing.
The town you visited sounds much like Niagara on the Lake location near me.
Birthday greetings to you!hugs Anna

Annie said...

It's way past time for me to take a trip to Eureka Springs again. It's such a nice get-away and I was pleased to be able to visit it with you today, Lila.

Hurray to you for finding the persimmons and knowing just where to go once the frost has passed. I bet you'll like the flavor (if they've been properly sweetened by Jack Frost, that is).

Lilia - named for you I imagine. It's a lovely name for a pretty little girl. She is your treasure, I think.

Kahshe Cottager said...

Your beautiful granddaughter could indeed be the model for the cover of the book! I wonder if she will see the similarity?

What a lovely interlude you had with your husband! I hope you both enjoyed your birthday celebrations. (Happy belated wishes for both of you!)

I am also glad to see your note that your Mom is getting stronger!

Bimbimbie said...

Well done, what a find beautiful looking book and granddaughter, I bet she'll treasure it for ever *!*

Related Posts with Thumbnails