bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, September 16, 2007




We are having the perfect weather celebrated in this painting by Pierre Bonnard, entitled "Open Window"!



I have always loved his paintings! This one shows a summery scene with green trees and you can almost see the lace curtain fluttering in the softly moving air, as the woman naps with her (black) cat nearby.

[Mr. Pear and I have a black cat, too,"Shadow",.... or rather she "has" us!]


Bonnard's use of color makes us feel the warmth of the room and the coolness of the window and outside air! The dark indigo and black of the "sheer" shade or awning, cuts through the bright summer light....and the black cat picks up that black accent again!


The pinky mauve "cloud" around the trees adds atmosphere and a sense of simmering heat, and that color is repeated in the lampshade and rug of the interior. Bonnard belonged to a group called "Les Nabis" who wanted to paint symbolically to depict spiritual themes.

I have a friend who also loves windows....you can visit her at Macrina's Window! She would love for you to stop by!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Lila,

This is among my favorites in your "window" series. You, I am sure, noted that one of my recent "autumn" posts featured a window with fall flowers and apples.

One of these days, I WILL do a post about windows and portals.

As to the black kitty, I am hoping...

Julie

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love her!!!

And this poem the most:

I stand at my window and watch
one by one the stars all leave me
I am having tea with the dawn
the first ray of sun descending
into my teacup
into my heart
The steam of my tea ascending
to the heavens
into God’s heart
The yearning in my heart streaming
to the heavens
into God’s heart
And God, standing in the heavens
watching the sun rise in my heart
leans down to breathe in
the first rays of my yearning
and names it morning prayer.

Bimbimbie said...

Love this painting, I have a black cat too so makes the painting even more appealing to me *!*

Related Posts with Thumbnails