bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, April 23, 2007



Finding blue (indigo) in the Deep South......

Today, my son-in-law took me to visit the home and studio of Jamacian artist, Elgo Lewis. It was a wonderful experience! Read more about Elgo Lewis here. Elgo is a master of color and light!
Elgo gave me a signed print of a quick watercolor he did once to go with a poem which he had written about the blue bottle tree. Read more about bottle trees and their meaning here.
[The photo here is from an article by Charlotte Connor on a website,www. usadeepsouth.com]
I will try to scan or photograph the print of his painting of the blue bottles when I return.....

7 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Lila, I told my husband the other day that we should save certain bottles for a bottle tree in our yard. He didn't know what that was so I told him and he was horrified at the idea. I had to explain it to him again - but now I'll just show him your photo.

I hope your holiday is fun.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Having a great time! Going to the High Musuem of Art today! BTW, the photos from this trip are from things similar on the internet...I'm not using a camera...just a paint brush this time!

gma said...

Awesome bottle tree. I collect cobalt glass. Gorgeous. Glad you are having a great time!

Janet said...

Elgo Lewis' art is wonderful! I love the way he uses vibrant colors and his paintings have such graceful, curving lines....lots of movement.

I had heard about bottle trees before and like the story behind them. Now if I could just find purple bottles!!

Kahshe Cottager said...

I never knew the history of bottle trees or the significance of the colour! It looks so pretty in the garden, I thought it was a picture of a delphinium at first glance!

Lila Rostenberg said...

African American folklore says that evil spirits are captured in the bottles and then can't harm you....h-mmmm,wasn't there a scene where Tinkerbell got caught in a bottle?

Sue Seibert said...

Well, how cool is that, Lila!

Related Posts with Thumbnails