bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, January 31, 2007


Here I sit, researching for hours on line, because I have a "bee in my bonnet".

It all started back (years ago) when I read the "Mists of Avalon"....what a wonderful book. It transports one to another world and time....

Then last week we watched and old black and white movie filmed in the Hebrides in 1940's.
"I Know Where I'm Going".....wow! what a movie!

It has natural elements of Celtic culture....so I am hearing the line this way from the folk song...."the deer knows who I'll marry". I know the Celts revered deer as having supenatural powers...so I think this is how the original line went.

At the same time, January is ending, and St. Bridget's Day and Candelmas are coming (Ground Hog Day for the secular). Of course, there is an ancient day of celebration for the midpoint of winter,called Imbolc.... I have a quilt, for my quilt blog,which I am planning to post called St. Bridget's Cross.

I found many wonderful articles about Celtic/Christian roots.

Now what does this mean? I have had a wonderful quiet snow day...of course I couldn't turn the computer off!.....I t's too bad I'm not a research librarian so I could be paid for this!

More tomorrow....maybe!

8 comments:

Janet said...

I love doing research, too. I can, and do, spend hours at it.
The quilt is beautiful. I admire anyone who has the patience and talent to do quilts.
(Love all your links!!)

gma said...

Oh I love Celtic lore and history. When we were in Ireland, We visited St. Bridget's holy well. It had been there since 600 AD. The water was supposed to have healing properties.
BTW...Thank you so much for putting my pears on your blog.
:-)

Lila Rostenberg said...

Going to Ireland, Scotland and England (Yorkshire) would be alovely trip!
I'm staying home, snowed in today, making oat cakes...maybe.

Tammy said...

Mists of Avalon is very high on my favorite books list!! It changed a lot of my thinking!!

Lila Rostenberg said...

Corey from Tongue in Cheek tried to leave this comment but Blogger was not working this morning!
"I adore Celtic music, especially the older songs.
Tell me did you take this photo?! It is incredible!"

Now I confess, the photo is not mine...I was looking for something to use and this reminded me of the stag shown in the opening credits of the "Monarch of the Glen" series on BBC.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I love learning about Celtic lore, I love Celtic music too. It is in my dream of going back to England that we go to Ireland as well. I've only seen a teeny tiny wee, wee, bit of Scotland. (one village to be exact) so I'd love to see more of it too.
The quilt is beautiful btw.
Stay warm and enjoy the oat cakes.
XO

Lila Rostenberg said...

Thank-you very much1 I think reading blogs from "the old country" is one way we travel!

Lena said...

The Mists of Avalon is one of my favorite books! I lost so much sleep while reading it. I couldn't put it down! I'm always reminded of Celtic traditions this time of year. In my part of the world there is the slightest stirring of nature and I'm reminded of a time when people were more in tune with nature.

Related Posts with Thumbnails