bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, April 03, 2010


While at work on this Saturday before Easter, I am dreaming of baking something lemony and not overly sweet.... first I remembered making Portuguese Sweet Bread for other Easter mornings. Searching on-line led me to this interesting Portuguese Rice Muffin. Bolla de Arroz.

They are served, with great coffee, in bakeries in Portugal and in Portugese communities. The recipe was not too hard to find...Food Buzz has great directions including how to make the paper cuff.

More wandering thorough the Internet led to Nina's Kitchen which had a wonderful post and the following recipe in the comments.
Here is a recipe translated from the Portuguese:
Bolos de Arroz -Makes 8

Ingredients:

125 g of sugar + the necessary to powder the cakes
70 g of margarine
3 eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
150 g of rice flour
50 g flour
1 dessert spoon of baking powder

Preparation:Turn on the oven and set it to 180 ° C [350 F]. Cut 8 strips of paper plant closed with 30 x 5 cm. Fold the strips in half, wrap and staples the ends to obtain some cylinders with 5 cm high. Beat the sugar with the margarine to a smooth and creamy whitish. Add eggs, one at a time when beating. Add the rice flour, the flour and baking powder and stir well. Lining a tray in the oven with vegetable wax paper, place the cylinder on top of paper. Distribute the weight of the inner cylinder of paper with the help of a spoon and bring bake for about 30 minutes. About 10 minutes before the end of, powder the cakes with sugar.
I noticed these were often served with lemon curd....yummm!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my collage blog to see today's art journal pages.

2 comments:

Janet said...

They look and sound delicious and then I read the last part about serving with lemon curd and I was a goner....I love lemon curd!! I think I could eat cardboard if it had lemon curd on it!!

Lila Rostenberg said...

I'm baking the Portuguese Sweet bread now...using a bread machine to make the dough.
I want to make these muffins, but am still struggling to convert grams to ounces...so I can use my measuring "cups". LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails