bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, April 26, 2010

It's been cool and rainy for 2 days....we almost have had to turn the furnace back up.
Baking is very appealing! Then, making me feel guilty, there are those bananas which are past the point where I love eating them on cereal....so .....time to "google" cornmeal banana bread!
I was not disappointed in my search. All Recipes has a great one, which of course I modified to fit my pantry!
It is a recipe with no sugar (uses honey) and it tastes terrific! My just-out-of-the-oven loaf is in the photo!




Corn Meal Banana Walnut Bread
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons honey
2 bananas, mashed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk (or buttermilk or yogurt)
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup unbleached flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or cardamon)
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons ground flax seed (optional)



Directions:
1.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 8x8 inch baking pan.
2.
Place the honey, mashed bananas, canola oil, milk and vanilla into a blender or food processor; puree until smooth.
3.
Sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture until blended. Fold in walnuts and ground flax seed. Pour into prepared pan.
4.
Bake in preheated oven 40-50 minutes until brown on top.
*******************************************************************

It's also a great night to curl up with a good book....I'm reading this one by Erin Hart. Set in Ireland and St. Paul, MN. A folklore/ murder mystery with a bit of romance.

6 comments:

Bettyann said...

cool and rainy here on the west coast also..yummy, have bananas over ripe and love cornmeal, so will try the receipe...and as I love mysteries will try the book..take care and enjoy the book..

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The book looks like one I would enjoy and the bread...oh, I know I would love it! Sounds delicious! Hope the sun is shining today and you have a wonderful day! ♥

Janet said...

Now that's one combination I would never have thought about but it sounds yummy. I'm adding it to my list of recipes to try. That list is growing longer and longer....and my waistline is growing bigger and bigger from all the ones I've tried!!

gma said...

Hi Lila
Love the new look here.
You are an artist!!
Love all you do...which is quite alot.I'm amazed.
Love you!
xx

Shopgirl said...

Yummmm!
We had hail the size of Marbles today, the sky was so black I started to think of why I do not have a basement...Yikes!
I love your header...very special!
Hugs, Mary

Julie said...

Both you and Gemma recommend this book and I know I can count on your critiques. I am going to find Erin Hart at my library.

Related Posts with Thumbnails