bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Pausing for a bit....



Because plans do and have changed....I have a few days of sacred or "pausing" time.


The carpet crew did not show up as we expected, they are not coming until Friday!!!! [The computer has been hooked up after all and I can post.]


Until the carpets are laid, I am in a bit of a "suspended" world...most of our "stuff" is packed up and in the garage. The house is open, bare, truly decluttered. Walls are just standing there with the wonderful new paint colors. They too, are un-cluttered as of yet. It is like a peaceful retreat center in my own home.


As we carried so much of our "stuff" out the door (temporarily), friends and family began dropping by. Some came to help, others for various reasons.... Perhaps there is a message here for me, it being better to fill one's life with people than with possessions?


One friend, Macrina Wiederkehr, came by and gave me a copy of her latest book, "SEVEN SACRED PAUSES".

With the house so peaceful, and enjoying some sacred solitude, I have begun to read the book slowly, hearing her voice in the beautiful words. At the end of her Introduction is a poem she has written. It ends

"Reverence each hour

as a small stepping stone

on your pilgrimage

through the day.

Receive the gift

of seven sacred pauses.

Practice waking up* seven times a day."

*I love the idea of waking up (really becoming aware of the wonder of life)! If you have been reading the current Oprah bookclub selection , "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle, you know that his book is all about waking up (awakening) too!

Macrina's wonderful book is available here (you will have to scroll down to find it.) There is an CD of chants available to accompany it also!.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know Macrina? My friend, Pat, in Memphis introduced me to her books and spoke about her all the time. How wonderful!

Enjoy your sacred pause. We all need them.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Macrina lives near here, though she travels the world and does retreats. I am blessed to have her nearby!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love this quote, don't know by who:
"beyond living and dreaming, there is something more important: waking up"

Lila Rostenberg said...

That is a great quote...maybe I'll be doing a collage page about it!

Shop girl said...

embrace the day, and thank you for coming by. I love your blog, I come by often.
Hugs, Mary

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful sentiment...

I've moved alot in my life...and there's always something so EXPANSIVE about having bare walls and rooms and such. It provides the perfect canvas for creating something new...even when you end up using some of the 'old' to do it with!

Sounds like a wonderful space you're in :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your sacred time off!

gma said...

Thinking of you and sending love. That book sounds so wonderful!
I am going to look for it!

Mary Timme said...

How wonderful a time for you to be suspended and waking. I love that idea! Good for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails