bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, April 24, 2008

[BTW, I just realized this is my 400th post!....as if I am counting, hmmm.]

Tuscan Pork Chops

or "What's for dinner tonight?"





1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
4 (1-inch-thick) boneless pork chops
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced*
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup chicken broth
3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced (or use sun dried tomatoes which have been soaked in the chicken broth and balsamic long enough to soften them)
2 tablespoons capers
Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs

Combine first 3 ingredients in a shallow dish; dredge pork chops in flour mixture.
Cook pork chops in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove chops from skillet.
Add garlic to skillet, and sauté 1 minute. Add vinegar and broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet; stir in tomatoes and capers.
Return pork chops to skillet; bring sauce to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until pork is done. Serve pork chops with tomato mixture. Garnish, if desired.
*1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic may be substituted.

Originally from Southern Living, with my idea in contrasting color! I have all of these ingredients as well as fresh spinach and artisan bread to accompany it, so making this recipe is my plan.


********************************************


I read wistfully about art "vacations" in Italy, remembering the fields of poppies which I saw there years ago. The experiences the author writes about in "Eat, Pray, Love", take my thoughts there, far from Arkansas.


Of course, making foods from various countries (even if the recipe comes through a southern American magazine, LOL!) is a wonderful way to "go without leaving home". For more of Italy, maybe I'll rent "Bread and Tulips" or Il Postino" (this is the hotel from the movie) and watch them again! And/or read some poetry by Pablo Neruda....(who was exiled to Italy.) [ I can reserve all of these things from our public library!!]


Back to "Eat, Pray, Love"....I may not be able to spend a year traveling to exotic locations, but I can support our local yoga teacher. Classes in her beautiful studio and garden are an escape and visual feast for the senses. I think this is part of "Bloom where you are planted!"


I could also get a used copy of "Eat, Pray, Love", make an "altered book", filling it with collages of my imaginary experiences. No reason to be limited by reality as we perceive it!


Note: The pork chops were wonderful!!!!! I highly recommend this recipe!

5 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Lila I am presently in southwest Arizona and your post gets me excited for my trip to Europe in Aug. and I surely will eat and pray and travel to Italy!!
sunkissed in Sedona NG

Lila Rostenberg said...

Anna, you are blessed indeed! I'm so glad your leg has healed!

GreenishLady said...

Congratulations on your 400th post. I like "Bloom where you're Planted" as a way of being. Otherwise we could be "Wishing our lives away" as the old people round here used to say. Still, I'm glad to be planning a real trip to France next week! You enjoy all your Italian goodies!

Julie said...

Hi, Lila,

That recipe sounds wonderful and I am going to try it. Dan can pick out the tomatoes if he likes!

You have a good idea in the concept of experiencing life in other countries without leaving home. (Very good for me as I can't afford to leave home!)

Congratulations on your 400th post. It is taking me forever to get to 300.

gma said...

Lila 400 posts wow!Congratulations!!!!Not to mention the fact that your posts are so gorgeous!!!! Since I got back from Sedona I've been busy working on the altered book. Eat, Love, Pray would make a beautiful altered book too wouldn't it? There are so many beautiful paragraphs to highlight...
sending love!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails