bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, February 11, 2008

A quiet gray day in Little Rock.


(Mom's computer has been down but now is restored!)



I am enjoying lots of time for my crafts...and even occassional watercolors. I have finished reading "I Capture the Castle"...it was quite enjoyable! When I'm on the road, I listen to "A Year of Wonder" about an English village in the 1600's, which is very well written!


Now, I am hand quilting on my pink and white Irish Chain quilt, I am under no time pressure to finish it! It is one of the classic American quilt patterns which I admire, it is simple and shows off the hand quilting.



Knitting is another possibility! I may decide to do a felted purse, or not! (This one is from knittychick's blog)

I have just finished socks similar to these for my son-in-law. They are on the way to his home, along with tropical weight cotton baby blankets with crocheted edges for my infant grandson (they are going to Jamaica for Easter), and hair ribbons for the granddaughter!


SIL, Bindley, is still in the Congo, as far as we know. My daughter talked to him only once this week and he mentioned having to "dodge bullets" on the airfield as the locals were firing guns in celebration of a soccer match. H-mmmm...We will be happy to have him home later this week!


Mom's surgery has gone well. The left hand is in large bandages which makes wearing most garments with sleeves impossible. I altered a lavender sweatshirt for her today, removing the left cuff so the sleeve will go over her bandage, then cutting it up the center to make it into a cardigan rather than a pull-over. It works great to give her a soft warm garment to ward off the chill! Monday she gets her bandages off. I plan to take her to my home for a few days....

Tuesday update....still rainy and colder! I'm reading Rosamunde Pilcher's "September" and wishing it was a larger print...still I do love her fantastic vocabulary for describing all things in the British Isles! Of course this has led to my enjoying tea rather than coffee this afternoon!

SIL is now on his way home...hopefully out of harm's way!

10 comments:

gma said...

Glad to hear your Mother is recuping. OMG How frightening to think Bindley is dodging bullets. Hope he makes it home soon. Bet your daughter and Lilia must be so worried....sending love and prayers all around your family.
:-)

gma said...

PS Forgot to say, that felted purse is really cute isn't it? Have fun and get some peace while stitching and quilting.:-)

Annie said...

You have been busy, Lila, creating beautiful things and being a beautiful person for your mom.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Since the day my laptop died all I do is play with craft supplies and paper. In three more months I won't have internet anymore in the house so I will blog from work for sure so more time to learn and make things. That purse is inviting. I always wonder about watercolors...

Laurie said...

Happy to hear your Mom's surgery went well.
You are so crafty Lila, the purse is so cute. I wish I had learned to knit and crochet many years ago when my Nana tried to teach me...I was just to impatient!! I do regret it now.

Julie said...

I know exactly what you mean about wishing for large-print books. I hope you can make it through "September." I really enjoyed that book.

You are so prolific with your knitting and quilting, not to mention painting and journaling. I wish I had your drive.

So glad Bindley is on his way back home!

Julie

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Lila - I see you are knitting again. I just visited a great yarn shop in San Francisco on Saturday. Click here and in the body of the post is a link to Artfibers. It's a fabulous place and they will sell samples so the buyer can get a "feel" for the yarn of interest before ordering in quantity. Have fun. Annie

http://scenesfromaslowmovingtrain.blogspot.com/2008/02/san-francisco-redux.html

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are having some perfect crafty moments.

I love to knit those Regia socks.

GreenishLady said...

Glad your Mum is recovering. She's lucky to have you to care for her. Sounds like you are working on lovely crafts, and enjoying your books. I recall finding Rosamund Pilcher's "The Shellseekers" and being charmed by it. She is an inspiration, in that she started to write quite late in life, and has had huge success with her books.

Jan said...

What a beautiful grandson! Glad to hear your Momma is better. You're a sweet daughter and I'm so glad she has you...
Knitted my first hat last month.
Hubby summed it up best: "hmm...another hobby?"
oh well, we creative types are just too much, huh?
Hugs and Kisses for Valentines Day!
Jan

Related Posts with Thumbnails