bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

"I must gather knots of flowers and buds and garlands gay..."

(art doll by Charity's Dolls...not by Lila!)
The May Queen
Alfred Tennyson

YOU must wake and call me early, call me early, mother dear;To-morrow ’ill be the happiest time of all the glad New-year;Of all the glad New-year, mother, the maddest merriest day,For I’m to be Queen o’ the May, mother, I’m to be Queen o’ the May.
There’s many a black, black eye, they say, but none so bright as mine;There’s Margaret and Mary, there’s Kate and Caroline;But none so fair as little Alice in all the land they say,So I’m to be Queen o’ the May, mother, I’m to be Queen o’ the May.
I sleep so sound all night, mother, that I shall never wake,If you do not call me loud when the day begins to break;But I must gather knots of flowers, and buds and garlands gay,For I’m to be Queen o’ the May, mother, I’m to be Queen o’ the May.





I think of Geneviere in Camelot on May Day....she and her ladies were out celebrating in the woods when she met Lancelot....how prophetic an omen was that?



(I may have to rent the movie,"Camelot", with Richard Harris, Vanessa Redgrave and Franco Nero...to see the visual delights...it won Oscars for best art direction and best costumes! A few wonderful songs in there too!)



For more info on May Day/Beltane visit my friend Julie atCeltic Woman!

8 comments:

gma said...

Your quilts are so lovely Lila. Wishing you lots of flowers this May day and a Happy birthday to Jamie.

Mary Timme said...

I'm thinking I'm one of the few people who still celebrates May Day by giving gifts and it is not so. Nice, very nice! That's a good kind of nice, too, not a snide one at all. We may have lilacs this year after all! That's exciting for here even if my nose does stuff up!

Daisy Lupin said...

Happy Beltane and May Day to you. Let the celebrating commence.

Anonymous said...

Camelot is one of my favorite movies. The music, the set designs...I'll have to see it again, you got my memories working overtime!!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I have seen Camelot nearly, and I do not exaggerate this, 15 times. I know all the songs, the scenes. I used to wear 2 rings like she did when she married Arthur. My favorite scene was the May Day celebration...I sat in a dark theater sketching her dress to try and make myself something similar. Although Franco Nero was devastatingly handsome (still is actually) I felt so sad for Arthur and his devotion to her. I had the movie but it was VHS - I need the DVD now! That way I can watch many more times.HA!
anyway, I got carried away...
Most happy May Day to you Lila!!
XOXO

Kelli said...

Happy May Day, Lila!!!

Kelli

Laurie said...

Love the doll ~
I remember the movie Camelot ~ and I remember all the leading actors had really blue eyes ~ I mean really blue!!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I did and yes your friend is delightful and I couldn't stop from learning so much. Thank you for sharing her with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails