Good granny square directions can be found at purlbee.com and below are basic directions.
1. Chain (ch) 4.2. Close into a ring with 1 slip stitch (sl st) in the first chain.
This is the center ring.
Then follow these instructions to complete the first round.
1. Chain (ch) 3 for your first double crochet (dc) and then work 2 more double crochet stitches into the ring. Chain 2.
This is your first corner
2. Work 3 more double crochets in the ring and chain 2.
3. Repeat step 2 two times.
You now have your four corners.
4. Join the round by working 1 slip stitch in the top of the turning chain. Don't turn your work.
To go on to the second round, follow these steps:
1. Slip stitch across to the first ch-2 space and then chain (ch) 3 for the first double crochet (dc).
2. Work 2 double crochets in the first ch-2 space, chain 2, then work 3 more double crochets in the same ch-2 space. Chain 1.
3. Work 3 double crochets, chain 2, work 3 more double crochets all in the next chain-2 space. Chain 1.
4. Repeat step 3 twice, which brings you to the last side of the motif. Work 1 slip stitch in the top of the turning chain to hold.
□ 3 c. flour
□ 3 tbsp. butter, softened
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Sift flour and nutmeg together. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and rum. Gradually add flour, mixing with spoon until well blended. Roll dough into 1/2 inch logs on a floured surface. Place logs 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes until light brown. Cool on wire rack. Prepare icing by creaming butter, vanilla, and rum. Beat in sugar alternately with cream. Spread over cookies, use a fork to make "stripes" or ridges (bark) and sprinkle with nutmeg.