bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, November 23, 2008




We've been looking through our recipes to make a cookbook for the new bride.

One recipe that we came across was for Pumpkin Bread baked in a canning jar.

Pumpkin Bread in a Jar

2/3 c. shortening
2 2/3 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 c. canned pumpkin
2/3 c. water
3 1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. nuts
Cream shortening and sugar. Beat eggs, pumpkin and water. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. Add to pumpkin mixture. Stir in nuts. Pour mixture into greased wide mouth jars filling 1/2 full. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. When done remove 1 jar at a time and wipe sealing edge with paper towel or cloth and screw cap on tightly. The heat will vacuum seal the jar and the bread will keep for up to 1 year (maybe). Makes 8 pints.


I had e-mailed this recipe to some famliy members and friends. So this afternoon, my friend Sally, whom I was visiting, and I followed our inclination to try the recipe. We made 3 batches in order for it to come out even with the 24 canning jars (WIDE-mouth pints) which we had bought.


So, if I run in to you, don't be surprised if I give you a canned pumpkin bread! BTW, it slides right out of the jar for easy slicing!



7 comments:

gma said...

That's amazing. My Mom LOVED to can...alot of things. Never bread
though. Pumpkin bread sounds good. I'm making my pies tomorrow. 2 pumpkin and 1 apple.

Lila Rostenberg said...

I'm so glad you have the days off to do the baking!
I don't have to cook, just travel and be nice, tee-hee!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Love that idea! I think this would make wonderful gifts for my neighbors! Thanks!

Diana Napier said...

That is really too cool. I have two pumpkins sitting on my cupboard, I think they need a new life.

Mary Timme said...

Num-Yummy as they say on the commercial!

Sue Seibert said...

Yum! Sounds wonderful!

BTW, you have gotten more compliments as people see your painting on my wall. It's so beautiful, and I am enjoying it so much! Thank you, again!

Janet said...

I can always count on finding great recipes here! This one sounds yummy and I love the idea of baking it in a canning jar. I think there may be some of these under my tree this year!!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We had 14 people and HB did most of the cooking, as always.

Related Posts with Thumbnails