bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, December 07, 2007

We are having a quiet "Advent" evening here tonight! This photo shows me holding the little one while looking at the Williams Sonoma catalog....he is fast asleep after a real "screaming" and "fussy" half hour of "colic". (He may "tune-up" again at any time in the evening....last night he hardly went to sleep at all, fussy and restless. My bleary-eyed daughter brought him to me at 6:00 this morning....I rocked him off to sleep, then he slept all morning....)


Laura (my daughter) is feeling well enough to clean and vacuum while I hold the baby. I'm smiling because she is feeling better, and I know that I can head home!!!! The baby's daddy had been working out of town all week (no doubt catching up on some sleep too!) and is due home tonight. So I'll be leaving them in good hands! Daddy can help with the wee hours crying and fussing....and the baby will soon grow out of that too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This is an Advent Calendar which now hangs in my daughter's kitchen and is used by my granddaughter to count down the days until Christmas.

It is almost 30 years old....and is one of the first quilts I ever made....I think it was featured in a magazine from the late 1970's. Laura was just a toddler when I first hung it in our Little Rock home. There are 24 pockets with minature ornaments which are hung on the tree. (I noticed that my granddaughter is hanging them in an orderly, row-by-row fashion. I think I was always more random....

One other funny, new, or odd thing is going on here....in the neighborhood, the elemetary school or something....the children are writing notes to Santa to please send an "elf". Then they set out soda crakcers and water.....and the next morning, the elf is supposed to be somewhere in the house! The parents next door, dutifully ate the crackers and water but had no "elf" to hide...so they told their daughter that he must be invisible at first....or maybe in the basement...she had no time to look there as she had to go to school this morning. So today they are out rushing madly around trying to find an "elf". they generously offered to get one for us too, as Lilia has a post-it note on the fire place here asking Santa for an elf and is planning to put out the crakcers and water tonight!!!!!
Meanwhile, the mother across the street had bought the book "Elf on a Shelf" and used the little elf doll last year. Now this Thanksgiving, she was beside herself trying to remember where she had put the elf...as it was time to have it moniter the child's behavior again!!! (She did eventually find it!) Do any of you have mysterious "elves" appearing in your homes????

********************************************



Finally, a photo of the tea party I had with my granddaughter last week. We are sharing a cheese scone and a chocolate truffle along with our tea! We have used her little tea sets and had parties since she was 3.

This makes another wonderful memory for us!



11 comments:

Julie said...

Lila, you are probably on the road right now. I hope you are not too tired to drive. I always hate driving long distances as I get really sleepy and have to pump myself full of Coke.

My sister is late again for our Saturday lunch. What else is new?

We never had any elves in our house. Hmm..Kristen was always a really good kind. And thank god she was not a colicky baby.

Julie

Mary Timme said...

Oh, everything is lovely! How wonderful that you can come home and that you've made such fun memories for your granddaughter!

Kahshe Cottager said...

Lila, you are one contented looking Grandma! The family picture was really lovely - everyone looks so proud!

I'm sending my Christmas wishes early this year as I will be away from blogland for a few weeks!

Have a wonderful holiday and best wishes for 2008!

J C said...

Precious photo of you and baby!

Annie said...

Hi Lila, it's time to come home and get a little rest yourself, now before the activities of the holidays. Feel good, feel pleased, feel fulfilled for you've just given a wonderful gift to your Atlanta family.

gma said...

Lila you must be the sweetest grandmother ever. You look so happy holding Bindley. Isn't it fun to have tea parties and share advent traditions with Lilia? We have mysterious elves here...wait maybe those are gremlins.
:-)

lizzzzzzzy said...

Wow I miss you and your blog, I ck every day...looking for Lila news. You are lucky to have a string of pearl days full of grandchildren!liz

Lila Rostenberg said...

Thank-you all for your kind comment and good wishes!

It is Monday morning, and I am printing out Map Quest to guide me home!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love how your hair looks! and your smile too!

Britt-Arnhild said...

Cute baby, proud granny, great advent calendar :-)

Laurie said...

That is a lovely photo of you and your grandson, you look so happy and content!

Related Posts with Thumbnails