bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, September 23, 2007





A mystery.....same painting, two artists given credit.

This Sunday's "window" painting is this flower-filled window, with a teal green chair. On the Internet the darker version is called "Sunset" and attributed to artist John Marin. The lighter version ."Sitting Pretty", which I like the best, is attributed to artist Dawna Barton.

I think it was painted by Dawna Barton.....the works I've seen of John Marin, look nothing like this! (How did they ever mix this up?...hmmmm, probably running their Internet poster/art business from a country such as China, where English is not the first language and our art history isn't taught in their schools...do ya think?)

John Marin (1870-1953) was well known as a regional painter, whose major work was related to the seascapes of Maine. He worked in both oil and watercolor, using nature as his inspiration.
This one is called "Landscape" (oil on board) and features his signature zig-zag brush strokes. He loved Maine, even had his own little island, called "Marin Island". He wrote..."The solemn restful beautiful firs....the border of the sea."





This is a John Marin watercolor which I love!
It has a wonderful looseness and light-filled feeling. He was an expressionist and one of the first modern American painters, usually his work was based on nature.





So having reached the conclusion that John Marin did not paint the "window" painting which I am featuring today, I never-the-less enjoyed learning more about him and his work!!!!! and reading that Dawna Barton, a grandmother, has done a virtual "painting a day". I think John Marin became famous because of the right connections to the European and New York art scene, and Dawna has done well because her art appeals to people who like the romantic, realistic approach. (That is art to decorate with, tee hee!) Each artist has a distinct style (do you prefer one artist to the other?...tell me in a comment, please!) and has painted profusely to develop their art! ( That is what I need to do....but there are so many quilts to make too! Sigh!)

One more thing...if I wasn't addicted to posting and blogging, I would have more time to paint...but where would my audience be? You all have encouraged me SO MUCH!



1 comment:

Julie said...

I don't know about his first painting - too busy and too many colors for me. I love his second paiting.

As for Dawna Barton, I would have decorated with her art in the past, but not now. I am still a romantic, but not that romantic any more.

Julie

Related Posts with Thumbnails