bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, September 16, 2007


It was a wonderfully cool morning this morning....so I felt that using the oven was a good idea!
First, I made popovers for our breakfast....just found a recipe on-line (there are many) and stirred them up.
While they were baking, I mixed up this Upside Down Berry Cornmeal Cake, from the August 2007, Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I had been wanting to try this recipe and substituted frozen mixed berries for the fresh in the cake itself. The batter recipe also called for finely snipped basil...so I sent Mr. Pear out to harvest some basil from the flower/herb bed. (I wasn't sure this basil was a good idea, but it really was delicious!)
As soon as the popovers were done, into the oven went the cake!
It turned out great and is not too sweet! I shared it with 4 friends (of course, I saved some for Mr. Pear!) over coffee this afternoon...and it tasted even better with their company!

7 comments:

Annie said...

The cooler days do call us to the oven again and these treats almost called me to your house.

Mary Timme said...

Looks wonderful and the basil with the fruit sounds good too. I love trying new stuff.

Julie said...

That looks lovely. I, too, would have thought that maybe basil wouldn't be a good idea. Glad it turned out tasty.

Julie

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

mmmmmmm!!!
LOL

Carole Burant said...

Dessert always tastes better when shared with friends...so where's my piece?? hehe It certainly does sound delicious and who would have thought of using basil in a berry cake!! xox

Bimbimbie said...

Basil in a cake does sound unusual, will have to take a closer look at the link to the recipe *!*

J C said...

THANK YOU for the birthday wishes Lila. So thoughtful of you to come all the way there to my blog to wish me a happy day. Hugs!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails