bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, September 13, 2007

At my mom's I found this April 1965 issue of Woman's Day (15 cents!). Mom had saved it because of an article about American Quilts......I was drawn to the watercolors of flowers featured inside. They are by Ian Woodner, an architect, art collector and artist. [ He died in 1990 and his art collection, one of the foremost ever assembled, was given to the National Gallery of Art and to MOMA..the Museum of Modern Art.]



Seeing his paintings inspired me to do this one.

It is watercolor done in a watercolor sketchbook. I think I have gotten the "loose" element down in my floral paintings!



This last scanned image is a watercolor sketch from an old photo, trying to make a "stylized, iconic face" rather than just copy the photograph. I'm starting to explore this "icon" idea, to use in paintings and collages later...[One of my favorite artists, Marc Chagall, used what I call "icon" images or symbols in his paintings...horses, brides(based on his wife), roosters, fiddlers...]

7 comments:

Julie said...

Lila,

I like YOUR version better!

Julie

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Wow, it's been a wretched long time since I've commented it seems. I do read your blog all the time though, as always love to see your watercolors and other art.
I wanted you to know I was thinking of you....and sending lots of hugs your way...just because!
XOXO
Lisa

Kahshe Cottager said...

Lila your flowers are lovely! Enjoy your newly found freedom and your watercolours. I will be looking forward to seeing more of your pieces!

Annie Jeffries said...

Lili, that magazine cover is a total treasure. What a find and suchs an instant source of inspiration. Beautiful.

Mary Timme said...

I love your paintings. You are so talented, and I love that about you!

gma said...

Lila
You really have an inspiring body of work. Do you paint every day? I am so impressed with your lovely floral paintings and the iconic face is cool too.
Say "hi" to Mr. Pear!
:-)
xx

Lila Rostenberg said...

I don't paint daily, byut with all of you as "believing mirrors" I am encouraged to paint more!

Related Posts with Thumbnails