bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, August 31, 2007






A treasure from Mom's house.


This is a church cookbook. It is full of confort foods!!!!


The cover is oilcloth with pinked edges. It is over 1"thick with typed recipes on the fronts and backs of each page.


It was published by the American Lutheran Church Women of Tolna, North Dakota, in 1969.



Julie Marie did a beautiful, soulful tribute to her sacred life in North Dakota on her blog yesterday, so I decided it was time to share this!

Inside the book, we have lots of cookie, cake, and dessert recipes and of course "hot dish" recipes(potluck-ready casseroles to carry to church suppers!). One of these has the fun title of "Shipwreck"


Here is the recipe.....

Shipwreck

Slice onions in bottom of buttered pan. Over it place raw potatoes, sliced. add a layer of browned hamburger, a layer of uncooked rice, a layer of chopped celery and a can of kidney beans, drained. Season each layer with (canned) tomato soup diluted with a little water. You may also add a little ketchup. Cover and cook 'til potatoes and rice are done.

Clara Forde
See more show and tell at No place like home . Kelli has a wonderful quilt posted today!!!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great cookbook and fun recipe. Ha! I love the name. There are several things I've made over the years that could have that title! Blessings...

Susan said...

Old cookbooks are treasurers.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Wow, a lot of typing went into that cookbook! The recipe sounds good too!

Carole Burant said...

What a wonderful recipe book! I often buy the ones that are put out by the church, the recipes are all tried and true. Love the Shipwreck recipe, it sounds so delicious!! xox

Julie said...

Lila,

I know FOR SURE I wrote a comment on your post this morning, but it's not here. Either I forgot to send it, you haven't moderated it yet (not likely) or you didn't like it and won't publish it (not likely either, I hope.)

So, I'll try again. It was such a treat to see that cookbook with the ND connection. Loved the oilcloth. My mom and grandma had oilcloths on their tables way back when.

The "Shipwreck" recipe reminds me of the meals my little brother Ronnie used to cook over a fire in the backyard. (It was legal then!) He would take a sheet of tinfoil on which he would place a raw hamburger patty, onions, sliced raw potatoes and creamed corn. He would wrap these Hobo Burgers up in tight tinfoil packets and cook them over a grate. Yum!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Church cookbooks are the best kind! All those tried and true recipes are great.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Julie...didn't see the other comment. Glad you came back!

we used to make something like what your brother k=makes when I was in Girl Scouts!

Annie said...

Shipwrecked, huh? There are days when I feel all washed up and don't know what to make for supper. Now I'll have an idea at hand. Thanks, Lila.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Some of the best recipes can be found in those old cookbooks! I might try the Shipwreck!

Katherine

gma said...

I love old cookbooks from churches or womens groups. I have one from my Mom too....the recipes are simple but delicious!

Anita said...

Lila, those old cookbook are always very interesting! It reminds me of a real treasure that my mom offered to me for Christmas a couple of years ago: The first cookbook of my grandmother. She wrote the recipes at the end of the 20s when she attended a school where young women learnd cooking and housekeeping!

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

Mary Timme said...

Don't you love it! I do!

Kelli said...

What a wonderful old cookbook, Lila!


Kelli

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

treasures!!!

nonizamboni said...

Thanks for telling me about this cookbook on my blog. And 'Shipwreck' looks delicious. What sweet(and savory) memories these old things preserve.
Mary Ann

Related Posts with Thumbnails