bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, June 07, 2007




This is my new little "model", Tomasita, she won't charge much to pose for me while I paint!

(Of course, you can't really paint unusual vegetables like this one, no one would believe your painting....they would think you just couldn't draw a round tomato. One more reason why, for a painting, we have to find the beauty of the ordinary!)




[In case any of you missed my video montage of 30 of my favorite watercolors, please go to my "Painting
my 'art out" blog (either from my side bar, upper left, or from my profile page) and watch...it has music too!]



Back to how I met my willing tomato model.....



I was reading how everyone was getting carried away with their new digital cameras so decided to take our camera on an outing this morning.....






The place I went has lovely well- tended flower beds with many exceptional plants and also has benches for sitting and watching people....





You can feast your eyes, or the camera, on delightful sites....like this pile of radishes....just look at those colors...pinks, carmines, magentas, all the way to purple!









Maybe you guessed it....I went to our farmers' market!
(That is where I found the cute tomato to post for you! I'm sure she will taste wonderful with some of the basil I picked up too!)


















Here are ferns from the shade garden side of the square........Japanese painted ferns, transcantia, columbines. large hostas and a white and yellow day lily which is coming through the hosta leaves!






It is a lovely morning on the mountain top...around the square with an old post office building in the center! The temperature is about 70 degrees and a bit of wind makes the shopper's hair blow and causes some of the vendor's to lower their shade umbrellas.










In additions to home grown (mostly organic) produce, we have handcrafted items....wooden spoons, homemade jams and syrups and a booth with baskets made by the Gibson family, basket makers here for generations..( in the Smithsonian, too!)


I don't go as often as I could....once I am there, I hate to leave!!!!!


A final note.........

Tomasita is gazing wistfully out the window....I suppose she'd like to be back at the square too!( or maybe she overheard about the basil...my plans for her...)




[ How fun for my hubby, "Mr. Pear" ( Loretta, of Pomegranates and Paper, didn't seem to mind if I follow her lead in giving a husband a "blog" name!) when he walks in from work today and sees her...empty nest syndrome strikes again!]

10 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Lila, Oh how ready I am to walk around the square and look at all the beauty there. I'll do that this Saturday. Yippee.

I tried to grow foxgloves when I lived in Fayetteville but I wasn't successful either. But the one in my photo is growing and thriving in, where else, Fayetteville!

Janet said...

Farmer's markets are always so much fun. All the food, fresh air, sunshine....what more could we want. The radishes are just great....when you see them all together like that it's easy to notice all those colors.

lizzzzzzzy said...

I love reading your blog from today, It was real eye candy for me!!
Mr. Pear, that is too much. For all you others Mr. Pear is AKA for Pom Pom by THE grand daughter. I would say you had a successful day, glad your camera went along. The "model" is a real treat, do I hear a tomato scream from your neck of the woods? Lizzzzzzzzzzzy

gma said...

Tomasita is precious....and she will be delicious with the basil and some olive oil. The pictures of your outing are great!!!!
:-)

Naturegirl said...

I love going to the farmers market..not only to support my local growers but also to get the freshest produce and goodies! Love the Tomtoes!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I just laugh when I read the last part about tomasita and the basil, LOL
P.S. I love farmer's markets

Mary Timme said...

Well, I could smell Tomasita's good ripe tomato smell all the way to Colorado and the wind isn't even in the right direction. I love those radishes too. What a great way to find beauty in the ordinary. Good post, Lila!

Kelli said...

What a wonderful farmer's market! So many colors and pretty things! Your little tomato is so cute. :0)
Kelli

Kahshe Cottager said...

Oh, I enjoyed the market tour Lila! It is always nice to see things from someone else's perspective. I wouldn't have thought to photograph a bunch of radishes, but they are lovely colours! Tomasita is quite the little character - like a little bird on the window sill!

photowannabe said...

I found your blog through Annie. It is delightful. Tomasita is a charming model. I hope she doesn't get too friendly with Basil.

Related Posts with Thumbnails