bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Lots of "green" things in my world this week!!!!!!






This is a planter from last summer now filled with ruffled petunias from a friend...I had recycled the soil and planted on last year's memories. I was sure that the astilbe had died over the winter.....but this week I found it growing up strongly through the broken Buchan stoneware mug (from Scotland with a Thistle handpainted on it).




These moments are similar to the ones in "The Secret Garden" where they find that lost and supposedily dead plants are still "wic" or alive!



I always feel blessed when something I though was lost, comes back to me like this!



The photo of the geranium and the birdhouse shows that after a long winter inside, this plant is also "greening and growing"!











[These garden photos were taken by Mr. Pear this morning....I will be leaving him on his won for a few days while I go stay with my mother who is having cateract suregery.]





At mom's I will be handquilting on this "Summer Roses" quilt which uses some of the Kaffe Fassett fabrics (fat quarters) which I had purchased in October. I have framed this small quilt with a lighter border to represent a window frame...looking out into a garden!



















And I am going to be eating a green cake at my mom's....this is called "Watergate Cake" as the recipe became popular about the same time as the Nixon scandal....



Here is a recipe with a frosting called "cover-up"..LOL

















One more "green" thing (a blessing) was meeting Annie, of "Little Rock Daily Photo" blogfame...[her blog background is green and Little Rock is a green and leafy city on the Arkansas River!] , who stopped by my place of work yesterday for a few minutes!

Annie is a delightful person and a wonderful photographer/writer!
Finally, one very,very,green thing,emerald green,in fact....my friend Carmen has posted about the doll I made for her, Esmeralda!
I may not be near a working computer this week, so I'll catch up when I get back!!!!





9 comments:

Mary Timme said...

I'll miss your posts, but I'm glad you get to spend time with your mother. I remember the watergate cake. Heavy, moist and rich as I recall! Yum-O!

Daisy Lupin said...

Astilbe's always amaze me, I always seem to think, oh the frost has killed them off, then suddenly by surprise they burst through the soil, and grow magnificently. Mine are profuse this year, as is my angelica. I adore petunias of all colours and types my pots and baskets are full of them.

Kelli said...

Lovely green things, Lila!

Kelli

Janet said...

So many beautiful green things.... the flowers, the quilt, and the cake. I love this post.

I'll miss you and I'll be sending good thoughts for your mother's surgery.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love my Esmeralda very much! Thank you again Lila!
Stay safe and I pray for a prompt recovery for your Mother.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Thank-you all! We did get mom's computer up and running...so I may be able to visit some blogs...

She is doing well...the surgery was today, for a cataract.

nonizamboni said...

The Watergate Cake recipe took me back a few years. I had forgotten!
Your blog is lovely and I also enjoyed seeing your watercolors: they're so colorful and uplifting.

I'll check back from time to time to see what you're working on.

Annie said...

Hi Lila,

I hope you are enjoying your stay in Little Rock. And I also hope your mom finds that she can see so much better than she even thought she would.

Rowan said...

One of the lovely things about spring is seeing dead looking plants coming back to life again - and nothing looks much deader in winter than an astilbe:) I hope your mother's cataract surgery goes well, my mum had it done and it made a huge difference to her life. She was able to read again for one thing. The cake looks delicious - love its name:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails