bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, April 07, 2007

We are going to Little Rock for Easter......


This is a quick watercolor sketch of the Rieger Begonia we are taking to my mother's . I don't know the name of this variety, but it really catches my eye!
I love the pink edges!!!!
My husband took this photo of the plant last night....( with a digital camera and a blog no detail of our lives is too trivial!)




These are photos from my cookbook and from the internet of Portugese Sweet Bread.

We fell in love with it from Portugese bakeries on Cape Cod.
It turns out that it is almost the same as Hawaiian Sweet Bread. The reason being that the Portugese were a seafaring people and they carried the bread recipe with them around the globe.
This is the Easter Bread version...(fragrant with lemon zest and nutmeg!)

2 eggs 1/3 c. milk
2 T. real butter 3 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. lemon peel, grated
1/2 tsp. nutmeg 2 c. bread flour
1.5 tsp yeast

I put these ingredients in my bread machine and process to make the dough.
It comes out already kneaded and them I form a round loaf and bake at 350 degrees about 25-30 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow. Cool and slice.
This makes fantastic French Toast the next day!!





4 comments:

gma said...

The Begonias are really pretty. Did you use deep colors on the edges...then wash with water to get the faded look?
When I saw the picture of bread in your cookbook....I saw a lady in the bread....she is looking over her shoulder and the bottom brown crust is her gown....do you see her?
xo

Lila Rostenberg said...

I think I see that lady...reminds me of your post about the victorian lany in the moon.

I used lots of water to "wah" that deep purple (right out of the tube). Then I patted to lift out more color, using a damp paper towel, which gave me the little "dotted " texture...and unexpected surprise!

Lila Rostenberg said...

Goodness...excuse those typos from being in a rush...that is "lady" in the moon and "wash" of deep purple...

Anonymous said...

Portugeese sweet bread! I grew up on this type of bread. All my Aunts, my Grandmothers and my Mom made it. Each had its own taste...delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails