bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Browsing through a used book shop with my sister yesterday....






Finding an book on traditional American Crafts with this first quilt photo.....(I am in love with the soft colors and the texture of the hand-quilting)




Brought me back to an old project...

My Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt. ( photo above)

I was not a grandmother when I started this one, eight years ago! Each little rosette takes me about 3 hours of hand work and that is not the white or green pieces! I use the English paper piecing method. Hours of fun and meditation!

A few years ago, my little granddaughter, about 31/2 years old, spotted my pink work basket with the blocks in progress. "OOOOOh! Pretty! "she exclaimed picking up the colorful "flowers". I told her that it was a hard quilt to finish...."I'll help you!" she said! (Delighting her grandmother no end because of her interest!)

One day soon, now that she is older and sews a bit, I will take her up on that!

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hello! Lovely quilt and colours ... ooohh I just LOVE your work. Yummy.

Thanks for checking in on my blog Lila. The pictures that you like the colours of are: big one = gouache, small one = waterclour. Sometimes I mix the 2 together. I think it is the gouache that gives the bright bold colours, they are more dense.
Really nice to catch up with you, E. :-)

Elizabeth said...

Sorry - the post box with the white picket fence is in watercolour, the other 2 are gouche! OOOppps

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

How beautiful!! What splendid work you do and you quilt by hand, right?
The blocks in the basket do look lovely as it is - a spring flower basket for sure.
I love that your granddaughter is interested and that one day soon she will be following in your artistic footsteps. Now that's a legacy!
XOXO

Pam Aries said...

Lila..I love the quilt AND your watercolor from yesterday! I just took a pic of a huge spray of local flowering branches in a pitcher... that I intend to paint! I came by to tell you that i LOVE the moongoddess you sent Gemma!

Mary Timme said...

I also saw the lovely, really nice and very well done, Moon Goddess doll you made for the Gemma. How beautiful.

Annie said...

Lila, you and sister were doing what I absolutely love to do, browsing in that book store. Just the other day I was thinking about the photo opportunities available there, those towers of books, the other browsers, the salesclerks at the desk. But I didn't think about the shot you took, you thought of that one.

Not being a quilter I had no idea how long it would take to make a flower garden quilt. I have two old ones on my guest bed right now - someone's hours of work resulted in these two treasures.

Tammy said...

I have several Grandmother's flower garden quilts. One that my Granny made, and two that my mom has made for me. I used the first one so much that it is just in tatters. I loved it!! She is going to make me another one at some point - in a King size to fit my bed now!! They are just lovely quilts! I love this design!

Janet said...

I remember a quilt like that on my grandma's bed. It had been washed many, many times and the fabric was faded and soft. I loved that quilt and now it's mine but unfortunately it's falling apart.

The bookstore browsing looks fantastic especially that whole table of books at $1 each!! I would have been in heaven.

Related Posts with Thumbnails