bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, March 13, 2007



Irish Soda Bread....


I've been searching for recipes using oat flour and came across this one from Wales...I think it is too large and where are the eggs?..... the internet has so many to choose from.....


IRISH SODA BREAD

1 lb (450g) wholemeal flour


4oz (110g) plain flour


2oz (50g) rolled oats


1 tsp baking soda


1 tsp salt


3 quarters of a pint (450ml) buttermilk


Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add enough buttermilk to form a soft dough and turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead the dough very lightly and do not overwork or bread will develop gluten and become tough.
Shape into a large round and place on a greased baking tray. Cut a deep cross in the top of the round.
Bake at 450F/230C for 8-15 minutes. reduce temperature to 400F/200C for 20-25 minutes until load sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
Eat whilst still warm!


I continued my search and found a lovely post in a foodies blog....I will use her recipe from the old family cookbook treasured by her mother. I will simply substitute my Hodson's Mill oat blend flour for the ordinary flour....I'll make a mix of the dry ingredients , put them in a ziplock bag and I'll be ready to make this for the family in Atlanta...(May have to omit the caraway?...no they are sophisticated palates, not picky, even my granddaughter!)

3 comments:

Daisy Lupin said...

I love Irish soda bread, I have never made it but I buy it at Marks & Spencer they do a really good loaf of it. It is very filling and very tasty. Let me know if you make some.

Kelli said...

Mmm..it looks delicious! I will be making soda bread for St. Patrick's day this coming weekend but I may have to make a practice loaf this week. :0)
Kelli

Anonymous said...

My grandmother Shea baked soda bread every week of her adult life. She also sang lullabies to my father in Gaelic.

Related Posts with Thumbnails