bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, February 27, 2007


"We are flower girls......"
This is a quote from my friend, Lizzzzy when we were noticing that all the floral dresses had disappeared from the stores.....
and many of the stores themselves were gone!

Last night my HH brought over an article for me to read from "Fortune Small Business" magazine. The owner of this business, reVamp specializes in making vintage style clothing. She lives a almost totally vintage lifestyle, too.


I once had a similar dress business. My sewing partner, Bonnie and I made lovely floral dresses and sold them in trunk shows held in customer's homes. Our business was called "Thistledown" with the fanciful associaton to the idea that fairies wore clothing from the fibers of the thistle seed pod. (My ancient Yorkshire roots coming out again?)

So as spring approaches, I remember those lovely floaty floral dresses...and spent until midnight last night looking at them on e-bay. The only place, other than re-sale shops, to find the Laura Ashley and April Cornell dresses.




This lavendar floral is Laura Ashley...and the pink paisley floral (below) is from April Cornell...both listed for bids right now.....of course, I have a huge collection of McCall's Laura Ashley patterns so I can order some April Cornell fabric (that is one of them at the top of this post,...by Moda) from an on-line quilt shop and make a lovely spring dress myself.....or not!

(I am learning that just because I think of a project does not mean that I have to do it! even if it would be fun!)



[BTW, working with layout on this Blogger post is "something else"....I can have it beautifully arranged here, only to have things "fall" elsewhere when published........too crowded when I put in plenty of visual space, or fragments of sentences remaining in odd places...it's not me...it's Blogger!]








6 comments:

Janet said...

I have always loved those pretty, feminine floral dresses....even though I can't wear them. They just don't look good on me. Of course, I love the lavender one!!

I think of so many things to make that I couldn't possibly ever get to them all. I enjoy the thinking as much as the doing....sometimes.

gma said...

Love pretty flowery dresses too...especially cool casual ones you can wear with flip flops. They are great here in Summer when it gets so hot....it's hard to stay fresh ...but pretty little dresses help.

Annie Jeffries said...

Lovely dresses and so feminine. We seem to be going into a very boring cycle for women's clothing.

Mary Timme said...

I look awful in flowery stuff, but I love the way others look in them. My daughter-in-law wears a lot of floral print dresses and looks really good in them although none of them are as pretty as she is. Isn't it grand to be able to say that! This time of year our eyes are starving for flower beauty and I have to thank you for sharing some with us.

Rosa said...

I spotted that Laura Ashley dress straight away! I was a LA girl in the 80s. That was my signature, feminine, flowy LA dresses. I love April Cornell too, now. It's hard to think of LA as vintage, ug.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

well darn it, I just typed this long comment and it said my request could not be processed....I give up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails