bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, February 01, 2007




It is February 1st!

We are having more snow...though not too bad, just pretty to look at and causing everything around here to be cancelled for a day or two!

This is the bleak mid-winter in many places and February offers several ways to add color to our lives....(most especially Valentine's Day of course!). I love to do this mentally by learning about traditional celebrations....
Today is the feast day ofSt. Bridget of Irelandwho legend says first wove these crosses from river rushes. Traditional Irish homes have a newly woven one each February 1st placed above the door to ward off fires and other troubles.
(This is my quilt based on the woven cross design.)

One other Celtic idea I have for today is to make Oatcakes!
These are a low-sugar/highprotein comfort food...low sugar until I put the jam on them that is!

Simple Abundance for February 1st tells us to begin taking creative time for outtings...since we are snowbound, I guess my outing is via computer.




8 comments:

Pam Aries said...

Hi Lila! you are snowbound..I am rainbound today! It is very chilly and wet! i have been playing on this
'puter all day in between making a bit of art. ha! I just had tea and some oatbran Pita bread!

Lila Rostenberg said...

I keep saying that I will leave the computer and sew...or paint...
I've just had tea too so maybe that will give me energy!

Annie Jeffries said...

Heartwarming post, Lila. I'm at work and would rather be anywhere else right now. Thanks for the little taste of Ireland.

Miss Robyn said...

come visit with me, Lila! we can sip tea together while the full moon passes over. we can play in my art room and walk in my garden.
let us girls support each other at this time... what is it? the full moon, me thinks.
Happy Imbolc to you - happy Lammas to me !

Janet said...

No snow here! I love the first image on this post. Is it something you did? It's beautiful.

Janet said...

No snow here! I love the first image on this post. Is it something you did? It's beautiful.

Lila Rostenberg said...

The illustration is from The Book of Kells...Dover has a coloring book out and this is the inside cover...I didn't even color it!
(Too much tedious work for me! I like things that "flow"...I like to color outside the lines!)
But you are a sweetheart and thanks for asking!

Rosa said...

I am so enjoying reading your traditions. I always love learning new things!

Related Posts with Thumbnails