bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, February 15, 2007


It is another quiet snowy day...lovely and peaceful!
We don't get such heavy snow here (in Arkansas) that we are inconvienced for long...
I was reading Daisy Lupin's post today where she mentioned a favorite book...."Precious Bane".
That reminded me of one of my favorites..."Larkrise to Candleford". It is about village life in the late 1800's in Oxfordshire. "The hamlet stood on a gentle rise..."
It was in this author's memories of growing up in a rural village, that I first heard of griddle scones...and began making scones on top of my stove rather than the oven.
These were favorites with my children for years!
Here is the proper way to eat a scone.......
TO EAT A (CREAM) SCONE: In the British Isles, these scones came to be popular in cream teas where the scone is served warm under a blanket of Devonshire cream and strawberry jam all complimented by a fine tea. To eat, take a tea knife and split the scone in half across it's girth. Now take a spoonful of jam or lemon curd and Devonshire Cream onto your small tea plate. Then spread a little jam or lemon curd on the area of the scone's crumb face, the size you might expect to bite elegantly. Top this with as much or as little Devonshire Cream as you wish and eat just that mouthful. For true English elegance, do not spread the whole half at one time, and most certainly not the whole scone! This is considered inelegant in those circles where people know about such matters as tea-table etiquette!

3 comments:

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I will be writing this title down, I love anything to read and or watch about England! The first time I had a scone, a real scone, was surprisingly on the flight from Heathrow to Scotland 14 years ago. They served them with the best tea, clotted cream and lemon curd. It was a short flight but I was hooked. I've never made them stove top, I will have to try that.
XOXO

Lila Rostenberg said...

We must get together for a tea someday!

Janet said...

I am so far behind with all the blogs! I'm trying to catch up today. I wish we could sit down with a cup of tea and a scone right now and talk about art.... or anything else. They sound so yummy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails