bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Escape (from cabin fever) on a Winter's Day........



it took all day, but I got a hat knitted, too!



This has been a crazy winter week...fridgid weather causing changes in the normal routine!
Monday was a snowy day, so I didn't even go in to work....the day was spent cutting and pasting, both at a friend Gayle's kitchen table and at my own. My ATC production is coming along nicely because of this....
Yesterday, another friend, Lizzzzzy, had a doctor's appointment in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I went with her, knowing we would visit a yarn shop while there....it was a snowy drive. the turnpike was in good shape. We drove past miles of frozen fields....and icy everything...Tree braches covered with ice sometimes don't stand up and sparkle like those in the photo...they get weighted down and bend to the ground. Some split off from the tree trunk. Many brought down the power lines, leaving whole counties without power. In the warm and cozy car...with heated seats no less, we cruised on by.

I had brought some leftover yarns and needles and began knitting as soon as we began the trip. An easy watch cap pattern.
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwec-watchCap.html
(You'll have to register for free patterns, but it will take you right to the easy watch cap pattern)

Eventually we had deeper snow along the road and were down to one lane of traffic in each direction.....fence wires were surrounded with a sheath of ice, blades of weeds and grasses were standing stiff like needles. A frozen world.

Reaching the parking lot of her doctor's office, we walked like two little old ladies across the slick frozen ice sheet on the top of the snowy parking lot. B-r-r-r-r! It was about 20 degrees, thank goodness it wasn't too windy!

It was the same at the yarn shop parking lot, they even had a note on the door telling us to go home and knit! (If Tulsa schools were closed, they were too....)

The art doll I am making had asked to come along (she is a fiber freak). So she was very happy when the shop ladies opened up (they were there doing inventory) and let us in anyway.

Lizzzzy found wools to make needlefelted pompom animals and 'dolly' and I found some lovely indigo cotton yarn which will make a lovely sweater for her! (The saleslady warned me that it will turn my fingers blue when I knit it as it is designed to fade like bluejeans..."Denim" by Rowan yarns.)

Re-inspired by all I had seen in the shop, my eager fingers resumed knitting as we drove home.
We stopped at one flea market just before it was closing for the day....will have to return, saw some tempting things...

Lizzzzy and I realized that because of a freak of the weather, our town was fine while just 30 minutes NW of us, life had come to a standstill when ice took over their world !

I am so addicted to posting now that I have just added another blog to my life.
This one is for art, collages, paintings, and dolls.....you can find it from my profile page. Arty Collages and Dolls.

9 comments:

Tammy said...

Such beautiful photos!!

Janet said...

I think ice on trees is so beautiful but also do destructive. Glad you had a safe trip, and how nice that the ladies opened their shop for you.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

me, too, very addicted and reading others, too, LOL

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Wonderful photos and it sounds like despite the weather you had some fun too. I loved that "dolly" wanted to come along. I am still stuck on where to start with mine when usually it just comes to me. I will be anxious to see everyones when the first month is done.
Your quilts are amazing by the way.

Annie Jeffries said...

Brrrrrr. We have been having a terrible cold snap in CA but these pictures make us look positively tropical. Sweet hat and made in a day. Fast fingers. LOL

gma said...

Oh that looks so cold...

Sue Seibert said...

Looks like Arkansas is having the same weather as Texas...brrrrrrr

Rosa said...

What beautiful photos. Sigh. We were just in Canada to get our snow fix. It was breathtaking. You guys sure have had your share of weather this season! Nothing at ALL here. Love that hat! What a talent. I never learned to knit, only crochet. I am dying to learn, though. Cheers!

Robyn said...

Hi, Lila! Yes, Naturally Needlepoint is a really nice yarn store. The ladies are always friendly and helpful. They have a pretty good selection and they are so wonderful to my two young children.
I hope that you are staying warm in this crazy weather. Were hunkering down for another storm in a day or two.

Related Posts with Thumbnails